Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Empty House

The movers came yesterday, and after ten hours of inventorying, blanket wrapping, and hauling to the driveway, they stuffed all my possessions onto a big orange truck and drove away.


I'm sitting in a hollow-sounding empty house, on a fold-up chair borrowed from neighbor, with my laptop perched on a pulled-out kitchen drawer.  Last night sleeping on an air mattress in my empty bedroom was comfy, but the pre-4th fireworks kept me up till 1 a.m.  At least they weren't gun shots.

There were a few moments of "freak-out" yesterday - OMG, what have I done!  But nothing stays the same in life, and there are times when life "does it" to you and then there are times when you "do it" to life;  this is one of the latter.  

My "winter" visit  to Asheville in February deepened my affection for the town.  Of course, like the rest of the country, Asheville didn't have a winter this year.  The temps were in the 60's, mostly beautiful and sunny, with only one day of drizzle and 50 degree temps.  That was the day it was supposed to snow.  Obviously, it didn't.

With a real estate agent, I toured some of the neighborhoods, getting a feel for house types and price ranges.  I saw some things I liked and some that I didn't.  The housing market in Asheville is tight.  It is, of course, a much smaller population center than the Bay Area, MUCH smaller, and with that size differential, the choices go down.  Also, because it's such a popular place and a big university town, the prices aren't what one would expect in North Carolina or "the South."  Granted they aren't at the insane levels of California, but Asheville is not the place for bargain real estate.  My house hunt would continue with my next visit.

Today, my final day in the Bay Area, I will go to a brunch in Alameda with a ring-side seat for the 4th of July parade, maybe a dance in late afternoon, and hopefully no fog for the fireworks tonight.  Then up and on the road early in the morning tomorrow for the cross-country drive to North Carolina. 

The adventure continues . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment